Summary: This article introduces how to lossless backup a Blu-ray to MKV format on Mac, so that you can watch the movie on Plex Home Theater via Plex Media Server.
You've got all that media – photos, videos, recorded TV, music and more – scattered across your network, and now there’s a load of online media to tap into as well. How can you possibly keep on top of it all while making it possible to access your media while away from home on your portable device? Plex is one possible solution. It allows you to share the media content – photos, music, video and recorded TV – from selected folders on the host computer as well as any network shares. All you need to do is install the client software and your library will be available for streaming on that Mac, PC or portable device.
I'm a Mac user and my Mac OS is 10.9.2. Now I'm about to rip my Blu-ray disc to lossless multi-track MKV
It will be played on my PLEX-Server (0.9.907) with Plex Home Theater (1.10). What would be the best way to go about it?
Searched widely and I got some tech support for getting Blu-ray movie into Plex Media Server for streaming and playing correctly.
1. Find a good Blu-ray ripping tool
2. Convert Blu-rays to a common video format
3. Backup Blu-ray rips to Plex Media Server
So at first, I started to search online for an ideal tool. However, it's rather disappointing that most ripping software simply compress my Blu-ray to MKV container format with codec like H.264, AVC, ect., the converted video is downsized which doesn't work for me. Atlast one of my colleague recommended Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac and wow, it works like a charm! It's so easy to use, converts very fast and output lossless videos. Below is my workflow on Mac.
Required Tool: Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac | Review
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.7 Lion, Snow Leopard 10.6.
1G Hz or above Intel processor.
1GB physical RAM (memory) or above.
1024*768 or higher resolution display.
Optical Drive: DVD drive (BD drive is required for ripping Blu-ray disc)
1. There's 6 times limitation if you use the trial version to output lossless MKV files;
2. This program also has a Windows version which works for Windows 8.1/Windows 8/Windows 7/Windows Vista/2003/XP find the ByteCopy (windows) here.
How to lossless backup Blu-ray to MKV for Plex Media Server with keeping multi-track?
Step 1. Launch Pavtube ByteCopy for Mac and load disc.
Firstly you need an external blu-ray drive; there's no special requirements of the drive model as long as it's supported by your Mac.
Click the top left icon and it will detect the inserted Blu-ray disc, click disc name to load them.
Step 2. Choose lossless format.
Click "Format" list and select "Multi-track Video>Lossless/encoded Multi-track MKV(*.mkv)" as below.
Step 3. Adjust V/A settings.
Click "Settings" to enter Multi-track video profile window; switch to "Video" and find the "Encode" box which is unchecked by default, so if you want a lossless MKV copy, do not touch it. The switch to "Audio", check wanted audio track; so does the "Subtitles".
Step 4. Start backing up Blu-rays to lossless MKV for Plex Media Server
Click the big "Convert" to start the conversion. It takes about 40 mins for my Macbook to backup a Blu-ray disc, but the conversion speed also depends on your computer configuration. My suggestion is not to play or edit videos when it's converting. After conversion, click "Open" or "Open output folder" to quick locate converted files.
Ok now the lossless MKV files are prepared; transfer them to your hard drive and connect it to Plex Media Server, now you can enjoy Blu-ray movies on Plex Home Theater without quality loss!
Money saving bundles:
- ByteCopy($42) + Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate($65) = Only $80, Save $27
- ChewTune($29) + ByteCopy($42) = Only $54, Save $17
- ByteCopy($42) + DVD Creator($35) = Only $60, Save $17
- How To Watch 3D Blu-Ray With Google Daydream VR?
- Rip 3D Blu-Ray Disc To 3D SBS MP4 For VR Headsets/3D TVs
- Make 3D SBS MP4 Video For Homido VR
- Converting 3D TiVo recordings for Watching on Oculus Rift?CV1/DK2
- Convert 3D MKV/FLV/MTS/ISO to 3D MP4 for Google Daydream VR
- Convert 2D Blu-ray to MP4 SBS 3D Video for Samsung 3D TV?
- How to Watch 3D ISO to Samsung TV?
- Can you Watch 3D Blu-ray on HTC Vive?